Friday 28 February 2014

Apple and Walnut Quinoa Pancakes

This morning I woke up with a craving for apple pancakes. I have never had apple pancakes but this is what I wanted this morning. I wanted the apples to be slightly soft but not too soft and for them to be spiced with cinnamon. I recently bought some quinoa flour to have a play around with (as you do :P) so I thought I'd use that as my flour. I have previously looked online for pancake recipes that use quinoa flour and only quinoa flour but have not been able to find any. I guessed that either they are impossible to make because the quinoa flour doesn't let it bind properly so the pancakes would fall apart or that due to the earthy flavour of the quinoa flour people have decided using only this would be unpleasant. Anyway, I decided to give it a bash and guess what! They did not fall apart during cooking and the flavour was great (they were even boyfriend approved).

Apple and Walnut Quinoa Pancakes

Here is the recipe... (sorry there aren't any progress photos 'cause I just made them up this morning!)


Apple and Walnut Quinoa Pancakes

1/2 a granny smith apple (diced into about 5 mm cubes)
1/2 cup walnuts (roughly chopped) these are optional but add extra crunch which I find quite pleasing
1 cup quinoa flour
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
pinch of salt
1 tsp bicarb soda
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used mixed spice which was nice but I would prefer cinnamon)
1 tbsp coconut oil to fry

Method
1. Place quinoa flour, desiccated coconut, salt, cinnamon, and bicarb soda in a bowl and whisk to combine.
2. Add yogurt, maple syrup, milk and egg; whisk to combine.
3 . Mix through apple and walnuts.
4. Heat coconut oil in a pan on medium heat and use a ladle to pour pancake batter into the pan. Flatten the pancakes slightly with the back of the ladle. Cook until lots of bubbles rise to the top of the pancake and the bottom of the pancake is golden brown (approx. 1.5 mins depending on the heat of your pan) and then flip. Cook the other side for approx 1/2 min or until golden brown and then put on a plate to serve. Keep cooking the batter in batches until you have used it all up. 
5. Serve with some cream whipped with a dash of vanilla and 1 tbsp of raw honey. Enjoy!

What is your favourite pancake flavour?

No comments:

Post a Comment